Big Little Lies
In the tranquil seaside town of Monterey, California, nothing is quite as it seems. Doting moms, successful husbands, adorable children, beautiful homes: What lies will be told to keep their perfect worlds from unraveling?
Told through the eyes of three mothers – Madeline, Celeste and Jane – Big Little Lies paints a picture of a town fueled by rumors and divided into the haves and have-nots, exposing the conflicts, secrets and betrayals that compromise relationships between husbands and wives, parents and children, and friends and neighbors.
Based on the New York Times number-one bestseller of the same name by Liane Moriarty, this seven-part limited series is a subversive, darkly comedic drama that weaves a tale of murder and mischief as it explores society’s myth of perfection and the contradictions that exist beneath our idealized façade of marriage, sex, parenting and friendship.source
- In order to work on this project, Reese Witherspoon backed out of Downsizing (2017), while Nicole Kidman turned down a part in Wonder Woman (2017), both because of scheduling conflicts.
- HBO won the rights for the series in a bidding war against Netflix.
- Reese Witherspoon and Nicole Kidman became very close during filming, to the extent that Witherspoon bought the residence next to Kidman's home in her hometown of Nashville.
- Nicole Kidman was once engaged to Lenny Kravitz, the father of her co-star Zoë Kravitz.
- After collaborating on this project, Nicole Kidman and Reese Witherspoon re-teamed to obtain the rights for an adaptation of "Truly Madly Guilty," also a novel by Liane Moriarty.
- Bruna Papandrea is Reese Witherspoon's producing partner and a childhood friend of Nicole Kidman. She got the two united over the project. After she approached Kidman about the novel, Kidman read the book overnight, and later went to Australia to sit down with author Liane Moriarty to obtain the rights to the book. She received it 48 hours later.
- Laura Dern has previously portrayed the mother of her two co-stars Shailene Woodley and Reese Witherspoon. In this she plays a fellow mother at the primary school.
- The novel is set in a seaside suburb of Sydney, Australia, but the setting was changed to America for the series. Nicole Kidman is the only Australian among the cast other than Gia Carides.
- Reese Witherspoon and Nicole Kidman also both serve as producers of the show. They acquired the rights for the book adaptation in a collaboration between their own respective film companies Pacific Standard and Blossom Films.
- Shailene Woodley and Laura Dern previously co-starred in The Fault in Our Stars (2014), while the series also reunites Woodley and Zoë Kravitz, co-stars of the Divergent (2014) franchise.
- The series is being filmed in Monterey, Pacific Grove, Pebble Beach, and Carmel Highlands, California.
- Nicole Kidman's first television series since Bangkok Hilton (1989).
- Filming took five months. The crew shot four pages a day, just like a feature. Director Jean-Marc Vallée treated "Big Little Lies" as if it were a theatrical movie, breaking the five-month shoot down into two chunks and shooting for 88 days.
- Jean-Marc Vallée' was approached by Reese Witherspoon who personally called her former collaborator to offer him the project. By the time she called him, the production was rushing towards a start date, without a director attached. He jumped on board in order to direct only two episodes, but finally directed the entire show, and approached it as one long movie.
- Liane Moriarty, author of the novel, suggested Rose Byrne for the role of Jane.
- Reunites Laura Dern, actor/producer Reese Witherspoon and director Jean-Marc Vallée who all previously collaborated on Wild (2014).
- The song "Something Stupid' has been sung by both Nicole Kidman and Reese Witherspoon in a separate official recording of the song. Kidman collaborated with Robbie Williams and Witherspoon sang alongside Michael Bublé.
- Larry Sullivan and David Monahan are also a couple in real life and have one child together. They previously played a married same-sex couple in a commercial for Campbell Soup.
- Originally envisioned as a feature film.
- Adam Scott was the one to suggest the beard for his character.
- In the book, Madeleine has a son named Fred, who doesn't appear in the show.
- The original order was 8 episodes, but when David E. Kelley was writing them he realized that 7 was enough, so he asked HBO about it and they agreed with him.
- Laura Dern's fourth HBO production.
- The soundtrack went #1 on iTunes' Soundtrack Chart and #2 on the Top Albums U.S. iTunes Chart. In June 2017, the soundtrack was officially released on CD, followed by a double Vinyl release in July the same year. The latter features new songs, including one by the director of the series, Jean-Marc Vallee. The soundtrack also features cast member Zoe Kravitz's first official single, a rendition of Elvis' "Don't".
- Reese Witherspoon, Laura Dern, and Shailene Woodley have all starred in films directed by Alexander Payne.
- Laura Dern and Sarah Burns also acted together in HBO's "Enlightened" . Ms. Burns portrays pregnant characters in both series.
- Ivy George and Kathryn Newton played in 2 different Paranormal activity movies. Kathryn Newton in Paranormal Activity 4 (2012) and Ivy George in Paranormal Activity The Ghost Dimension (2015)